Anne Marie Javouhey guided by the impulses of the Holy Spirit founded the Society of St. Joseph of Cluny on 12th May 1807, where she along with her three sisters and five others, made their profession in Chalon - sur - saone, and later established themselves in a house in Cluny (France). The Congregation from then on began to be called the Sisters of St. Joseph of Cluny.

Anne Marie Javouhey cared for the orphans, educated children, worked for the human development of all. She worked for the formation of the African Clergy and was the outstanding liberator of slaves.

In her own life time, her missionary activities were extended to the five continents. She was so recognized for her devotedness, ingenuity and audacity that she was acclaimed as the "Liberator of slaves, The Valiant Woman, The Apostle of Negroes, and The Mother of Black - Races"

She died on 15th July 1851 and was beatified on 15th October 1950. Cluny in South West India (Bangalore) Her light is not put out in the dark. She lives in her 299 sisters of this province in four states: 11 houses in Karnataka, 15 houses in Tamil Nadu, 3 houses in Kerala, 4 houses in Goa through school, hospitals, centers for the mentally and physically disabled, opportunity schools for the slow learners, children's homes, prison - ministry and non-formal educati


The sisters of St Joseph's of Cluny arrived in India in the year 1827 and went on to make their presence felt in various territories here. Some of the places where the sisters have established are New Delhi, Pondicherry, Tamil Nadu, West Bengal, Karnataka, Goa, Kerala, Andhra Pradesh, Bihar, Sikkim and Madhya Pradesh.

The first house in India was opened in Pondicherry in 1827.

Today there are about 3000 sisters engaged in evangelization through Education - Health -Social and Pastoral ministries.

1827 Pondicherry 13 Houses
1861 West Bengal 19 Houses
1894 Tamil Nadu 39 Houses
1948 Karnataka 11 Houses
1963 Goa 4 Houses
1971 Kerala 3 Houses
1973 Sikkim 4 Houses
1975 Jharkhand 2 Houses
1982 Andhra Pradesh 7 Houses
1988 Bihar 1 House
1990 Delhi 1 House
1997 Assam 1 House
1988 Nepal 3 Houses
1994 Phillipines 2 Houses


1 Europe 94 Houses
2 Africa 68 Houses
3 Oceania 24 Houses
4 India 110 Houses


The Golden Journey of Cluny School: Cluny Matriculation Hr. Sec. School, Salem is run by the congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Cluny which has its regional headquarters at Bangalore. Cluny Matriculation Hr. Sec. School, Salem, is owned by the Society of the Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Cluny, a body registered under the Societies Registration Act in the year 1973 and having its office at Salem.


Cluny started her journey on the 4th of July, 1960, when Sr. Marie Joseph, Superior of Fatima Convent, and the Sisters of Cluny began a co-education School by name "St.Joseph English School" at Fairlands with just a few students. On the 9th of September 1962, the school was shifted to its present location. Then on, Cluny experienced a string of firsts and worked her way diligently towards becoming a self reliant, progressive institution. The 18th of December, 1963, the first Sports day of our school was conducted in our own premises. On the 6th of April, 1964, the first parent's day was conducted. The parents and well wishers were treated to an awesome range of talents their wards possessed. On the 7th of December 1964, the school song, the pride of every Clunyite, was sung for the first time in front of an audience. On the same day, the School Flag was carried by the School Pupil leader during the March Past for the first time.

St.Joseph's English school became "Cluny Matriculation School" in the year 1980. A long cherished dream came true. 18 students in Class X appeared for the Matric exams for the first time in the year 1981.

The needs of a fast growing institution are many. To house all these needs, well-ventilated spacious classrooms, auditorium, the Physics and Chemistry labs, the Computer Room, and an audio-visual room were set up in the 80s. In the year 1995, the property adjacent to the school was procured and that came to be the school's playground. In 1995, Cluny was given permanent Education in its true sense cares for every aspect of the human person. In order to provide ample opportunities for the spiritual growth of the Introduction of the XI standard in the year 1997 was an academic landmark changing the name of our school to Cluny Matriculation Higher Secondary School. The blessing and the inauguration of the Primary block which houses classes from LKG to Std IV, was held on the 15th of July 1998. Cluny's first batch of +2 students, 117 in number, appeared for the public examination in the year 1999. Due to increasing demand and growing patronage, Cluny witnessed expansion in the form of the Blessed Annie Marie Javouhey Bicentenary Block that was inaugurated by the Bishop of Salem, Rt. Rev. Dr. Singaroyan, in November 2006.

welcome to salem